I have been experimenting with mashups, in particular utilising Yahoo Pipes as part of my studies at university at the moment, and one of our initial exercises is to create a mashup that takes 30 images from Flickr that are related to “QUT Kelvin Grove”.
The most logical way to do this to me seemed to be to simply use the Flickr module in Yahoo Pipes.
This was really straight forward, it’s basically just a matter of:
- Drag the “Flickr” module onto the screen from under the “Sources” tab on the left.
- Enter the number of images you want in the “Find” box.
- Enter a search query in the “images of” box.
- Enter a location in the “near” box.
- Join the pipe output from the bottom of the Flickr module to the pipe input in the top of the Pipe Output module.
- Save your pipe.
- Run your pipe.
You should have something in the pipe editor that looks like this:
I have entered the name of the location “Kelvin Grove, Brisbane” in the “near” box, but you can also enter a latitude and longitude, for example 1532727 will put you in basically the same area as what I used. However, just the suburb name “Kelvin Grove” did not return anything, so you do need to be fairly clear about where it is.
You can check it out at the Pipe page, or you can see the end result here: